Sunday, August 30, 2009

Half marathon

Video of the Nike 100th Media Maratón de Lima 21K race.

Map of the route.

I did it! The course was great and very flat. We started on the narrow streets in El Centro de Lima and it was amazing to see thousands of red shirts contrasting the yellow and white colonial buildings. There were fans and musical entertainment along the whole route and the police stopped all car and combi traffic so the air was clean. My friend Miranda came out to cheer us on as we ran by her apartment near the Malercon. It was so nice to have a fan.

I paced myself well and when everyone else was dying in the final 4 kilometers, I passed a lot of people. I find great satisfaction running with kilometer markers rather than mile markers as you feel a greater sense of accomplishment as you pass more of them (even though the distance is the same). The final stretch was beautiful though the Circuito Magico del Agua where you weave between these 13 amazing ornamental fountains but you are looking (or dying) for the finish and the water is blocking your vision until you come around the main fountain and 100 yards ahead is the big red banner with the clock ticking and a 10+ person orchestra entertaining the thousands of fans.

Last year at the Earth Day Half Marathon in St. Cloud I finished in 1:50:31 but yesterday and ran the Media Maratón de Lima in 1:49.22. Whohoo!!
A couple of Kenyans won it.

After the race I went to get a bandaid for my quarter sized blister and while I was chatting with the paramedic a girl got thrown into the truck who had collapsed. Having had some experience working with Dr Bill Roberts at the Medtronic TC Marathon, I helped check her vitals and her hands were freezing. I put her feet up and took her socks and shoes off and covered her in blankets as the paramedic was setting up oxygen by nasal cannula. After a few minutes she woke up and I gave her my gatorade and water while I went to turn in her timing chip and get her medal. She was about my age and she thanked me. It was great to get a little clinical medicine experience and practicing my medical Spanish (not quite up to par but working on it).

Final results: here. I was 31st in my age group 18-34, 563rd overall. Anyway, there were over 3000 people (about 800-1000 women) so that's not bad.


My friends, Beto and Kara, after running 13.1 miles (21 kilometers). Go us!

Today, I think I need a massage since my IT bands are killing me and stairs are a little difficult to descend. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment