Sunday, February 26, 2006

Suicide, Moulin Rouge, and Carnival

I wanted to save a few bucks so rather than flying from Berlin to Barcelona, I took two night trains with a "layover" in Paris. Who said you can't see Paris in one day? My train arrived late because a German railworker jumped in front of our train, committing suicide, in the middle of the night. I slept through the whole thing.

I met a guy from Paris and I tried to have a conversation in French but it quickly turned into English because my French is worthless. He told me how to see all of Paris in a day.

I started at the Bastille and walked to the Cathedral de Notre Dame and Hotel De Ville, then to the Louvre (but didnt go in), through the gardens at Touleries (not in season so everything was rather brown and dead), down the Champs d'elysee to go window shopping at Louis Vuitton. Then through the arc de triomphe where I met some crazy fashion and design students from London. Three of the guys were wearing trendy shoes with pointed toe (one guy had gold shoes) and ladies trench coats with cashmere scarfs with very stylish haircuts (basically a side mullet) and carrying HUGE leather handbags. These guys were hilarious! We paid too much money to go up to the top of the Eiffle Tower as it was snowing and cold but awesome views. Then, the strobe lights came on and made the whole tower glitter - totally awesome! Then I had to get back to the train station to go to Barcelona since I nearly missed my night train the night before. Something about hopping right on the train makes me think I can arrived at the departure time whereas on planes you have to get there super early. Another day without a shower wearing the same clothes, oh well.

My sister, Anne, and i are in Barcelona and last night was carnival - crazy party! It starts in Cadiz, Spain and moves up to Barcelona but since the event is so big Barcelona cant host it so they moved it to a small town 20 miles away. We went with a large and noisy group, dressed as flamenco dancers with bright red lipstick. it was a blast! My noise-maker blew out before we got off the train - i felt bad for the other people on the train. "Carnival! Carnival! Carnival! Carnival!" "What are you watch out for?..." Our group (an Italian, a couple brits, canadians, kiwis, and americans) were yelling the whole time.

Well we are off to the outdoor Barcelona zoo and world class aquarium. The weather is beautiful, blue skies and temps in the 60s. Too bad I wont get this weather for a couple months when i get back. Boo! It is refreshing to not wear long johns for the first time in two weeks!

I am off to valencia, seville, madrid, and then amsterdam and home.

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment