Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Despedida

Despedida
Kartik, Sarah, Dan, Beto, Kiran, Miranda, Leora, Dani, Callae and me at my despedida at Pescados Capitales.


Despedida in Spanish means farewell and is usually associated with a party. Well the last five days have been one big despedida leading up to today - my very last day in Lima, Peru. First, my cleaning lady came over and made some amazing ceviche for Miranda and I on Thursday. I gave her two bags of stuff (clothes, shoes, toiletries, games and pens for her nephew - she love it!)
On Friday, I bought a chocolate cake and had a little party with my co-workers at Cayetano University.
On Saturday, all my gringo friends (and Beto) came to Pescados Capitales for a delicious dinner and my waiter friend, Alex, even gave us a tour of the kitchen and wanted to add me to the VIP wall where they learn about what their regular customers like. (You know you have a good life when one of the fanciest restaurants wants to put you on their VIP wall.)

Congrats Dan on your graduation!
On Sunday, my friend Leora hosted a wonderful despedida brunch where we drank mimosas, cooked pancakes and french toast, and at lots of tropical fruits. Sunday night, my brother and I went to the Arambulo's to introduce him to my Peruvian family and also say one last goodbye. I teared up saying goodbye to Luis, who insists that I will always be his hija (daughter) even if I'm a rubia (blond).
Last night, our "chicken mama" Dr. Silvia Montana, took our Fogarty group to dinner at Jose Antonio's for a delicious traditional Peruvian meal, complete with picarones and Pisco sours.

"How are you feeling?"
"A life rich with emotions is a rich life," so they say, which means I basically just won the Powerball! I wish! I'm all over the place with emotions: sad to leave my friends, my life, my new family in Peru; happy to see my novio (finace) and my family and future in-laws (who are so kindly picking me up in Chicago); anxious about adjusting to the way of life in the US (like being on time and how to greet people - the Peruvian kiss is not very acceptable in the US); stressed about getting my papers submitted and poster made before my upcoming trip to China; excited to go to some of my closest friend's weddings and see friends from home; nervous about actually throwing toilet paper in the toilet; anxious about having to drive a car; assured that my brother will get along fine without me; grateful for all Peruvians (and gringos) who made me feel at home here; overwhelmed by all the unfinished work I have to do; concerned that I might not eat ceviche for another year; but most of all, I'm happy.

Me, Dan, Luis and Miranda on my last night out on the town. Why isn't Luis smiling?

Happy that I had this amazing opportunity, happy that I spent time getting to know some awesome people, happy with the work that I've done, happy with the adventures I've had this year, happy that I finished packing last night and can enjoy my last day, happy to see Seth, happy to give my mom a big hug and tell her I love her, happy to go running with my dad, happy to ride my Fuji Roubaix (my bike) again, happy to eat a cheeseburger, happy for it to be summer, happy that nothing major happened to me, happy to plan our wedding, happy to apply for residency, and just generally happy to be back home.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Thank you Beto and the Arambulo's for being my family and taking me in as your daughter. Thank you Romina and Bruno for showing us your city and making us feel at home. Thank you to the gringas (you know who you are) for being such a great support group and showing me how to work hard, eat well and always have a good time. Thank you Pierina for being the best Spanish teacher. Thank you Omar for driving me and all my visitors around Lima. Thank you Jaime, Antonio, Sanja, Julio, Joe, Bob, German, Jennifer, and Cesar for helping me with all my projects. Thank you to my family for keeping me company on skype all the time. Thank you friends and family who came to visit so I could show off my new home and this amazing country. Thank you Miranda for being my best friend in Lima and putting up with me and making your way into all my wonderful memories even though you weren't there all the time. And last, but not least, thank you Seth for being my rock this year and coming down to visit three times when I didn't go home once. Thank you for letting me have this incredible opportunity to move abroad and I promise I'll never leave you behind again. I love you!

Thanks for reading. I am delighted that I have had so many followers on my blog this year. I hope to update it now and again but you should follow my brother Dan's blog.
Until my next adventure, "Ya me despido. Muchas gracias por todo, que te cuides y hasta luego!" (It's time to say goodbye, thank you for everything, take care and I'll see you later). Besos (kisses)!

Love,
Katie

1 comment:

  1. KATIE;;;

    WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND THE TREASURES YOU ARE TAKING WITH YOU AS YOU LEAVE PERU. FRIENDS ARE FOREVER AND YOU HAVE MADE SO MANY IN THE LOVELY LAND OF PERU. DAD AND I ARE EXCITED TO SEE YOU AND GET ON WITH THE WEDDING PLANS. LOVE TO YOU, MOM AND DAD

    ReplyDelete