Thursday, January 21, 2010

Huancachina

A dune buggie flying up and down and over and around the dunes near Huacachina


Family
It was so good to see my brother, Dan, and my sister, Anne, when they came to visit me in Peru last week. They had an amazing trip and have their photos here:
We hung out in San Isidro and Miraflores, explored El Centro, and took them out to a fun bar with lots of my friends here in Barranco.

Saturday we headed down to the oasis Huacachina in the Ica district with my friend Romina to go sandboarding. Five hours later - after stopping for every Tom, Dick, and Harry (or I suppose it was more like ever Juan, Luis, and Jesus) even if it was two blocks from the bus station - we made it to Ica.

Sandboarding
For anyone who hasn't been sandboarding before sandboarding is your warm weather equivalent of snowboarding, yet somehow very different. Wearing shorts and a t-shirt with sunglasses and riding a dune buggie to the top of the hill is a bit different than my usual experiences snowboarding. Having done much snowboarding, I feel confident saying that that experience has very little to do with your success rate getting down sand dunes while your feet are tied to a heavy piece of wood by velcro. My first run I tried to turn and fell, hard, on my tailbone. I am still feel it over a week later. My brother was the most successful (I think he used a whole chunk of wax though) and the rest of us decided to opt for the skeleton style sledding approach by the last dune. Back at the Oasis we waiting in line for an hour for pretty bad pizza and then retreated to the Bob Marley lounge in the hostel we hung out until early in the AM.






The good, the bad, and the ugly.
*Good: getting airborne on the buggy going over a few hills
*Bad: my brother nearly puking from motion sickness and the car breaking down/wheel stopped working on our buggy - Yes, Mom, it was very safe...
*Ugly: The 11 year old kid wiped out and got knocked out flying down the last dune and tumbled 20+ feet before landing limpless in the sand. Needless to say we all started running to help and I quickly realized my medical Spanish is not nearly good enough to function as a doctora.

Farewell dinner
We had plans to go to get antechucos (cow hearts) from the street vendor in San Isidro but luckily for my sister our plans failed as they (and most other stores) are closed on Sunday. We opted for greasy sandwiches instead, sorry Dan - you'll have to come back.
Overall it was a great trip and fun to see my family who I hadn't seen in over 6 months!
Photos of us at the Circuito del Aguas in Lima



Seth and I in the most beautiful mall, Larcomar, that overlooks the Pacific Ocean

No comments:

Post a Comment