Sunday, March 28, 2010

Books to read

Before packing for Peru, I read our Fogarty "survival guide" that said to bring a lot of English-language books since they are hard to find here. I packed about five and figured that would be more than enough as I doubt that I had read five books for leisure in the past year (now med school books... that's a different story). Anyway, I had no idea how desperate I would be for reading material! I would never describe myself as an avid reader but I enjoy reading and the hour-long bus rides to and from the hospital are perfect for leisure reading. Lately I read a book a week.

Here's the short list of what I've been reading lately and would love your suggestions/recommendations:
1. The Canopy by Angela Hunt (based in the Amazon by Iquitos, Peru, I enjoyed this adventure of a team searching for a cure for a deadly disease and the not-so-subtle message about faith and transformation)
2. Freakonomics by Steven Levitt (son of one of my med school profs)
3. Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (the first half was amazing, the second half was ok, and the movie made my cry at least 5 times)
4. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson (Wow! Great book and I would recommend that everyone reads it to better understand the philosophy "To educate a man you teach an individual, to educate a women, you teach a community.")
5. Stones into Schools by Greg Mortenson (More about building schools for girls in Afghanistan post-9/11)
6. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (amazing literary work and very witty but you have to get over the unusual erotic predilections of the main character)
7. Bridge over San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder (based in Peru in the colonial era - entertaining)
8. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
9. New Moon by Stephanie Meyer
10. Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan (very interesting/highly recommended - this book makes you think about what it is you are actually are eating and where it comes from. They say, "You are what you eat," which basically makes us a bunch of cobs of corn as we consume enormous amounts of corn-fed meat and high-fructose corn syrup.)
11. Food Rules by Michael Pollan (everyone should try to follow these simple rules about what you eat)
12. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (very entertaining)

Next up:
1. Eat, pray, love by Elizabeth Gilbert
2. River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze by Peter Hessler (in anticipation of my trip to China in June!)
3. (Your recommendations here)

Gracias

3 comments:

  1. White teeth by Zadie Smith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. It's great you are doing so much reading! If you are looking for ideas of more books that are actually set in Peru, then I have a list here which might help. Books set in Peru

    Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. i found eat, pray, love positively annoying, and thought the author was just ridiculously arrogant. if you liked the kiterunner, try one-thousand splendid suns, also khaled housseini. i'll bring you some good ones.

    ReplyDelete