Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Love/Hate

Living in Tumbes has made me realize what I love and hate about living Miraflores (in Lima).
Love about Miraflores: having hot water and taking a nice hot shower
Hate: paying extraordinary amounts of money for rent and utilites (by Peruvian standards since it costs $350 to rent a 1br in Miraflores and 150 soles ($50) in Tumbes)
Love: being next to the beach (even though it's rocky) and watching surfers
Hate: that it's rarely sunny to enjoy going to the beach. Tumbes is always hot and sunny but we're inland from the beaches. After our trip to Mancora last weekend, however, I will say that cold showers feel good on your sunburns!
Love: friends with cars and motorcycles so that you don't have to worry about being run over on a mototaxi or being stuffed into a combi
Hate: the traffic in Lima; it's just like LA!
Love: not having guard dogs barking all night
Hate: listening to car alarms going off instead
Love: having a kitchen and microwave. you can only eat out for so many meal and when it's all rice and no veggies it get a little frustrating.
Hate: paying gringo prices at the tiendas and street vendors
Love: going dancing at the clubs
Hate: paying 20 soles to get in
Love: going for a run along the Malecon and the ocean rather than run stairs in my apartment in Tumbes
Hate: breathing lots of car exhaust
Love: sushi
Hate: over-priced food and menus (a set salad or soup, entree and desert for one price) since you can eat menu here for 5 soles ($2)
Love: good coffee since everything here is instant
Hate: paying for it - in a country that produces a lot of coffee you'd think it's be next to free but all the good coffee is imported from America and has imported prices.
Love: speaking English
Hate: being able to speak in English. Only Heather, Miranda, Colin and I speak English in Tumbes
Love: not having to wear bug spray because the mosquitoes eat you alive. I also love not having little bugs in my bed, and tiny ants climbing on my stuff and in the sink and shower.
Hate: how urban Lima is
Love: not throwing my used TP in the basura (waste basket)
Hate: thinking about where all my garbage goes - hopefully it's not in the big dump pile in the shanty town by the river...
Love: 24 hours/ 7 days a week electricity and never having to deal with power surges
Hate: 24 hour internet because I can work the entire day and never leave my apartment

Only two more days in wonderful Tumbes. It's growing on me even though there are only 4 reasonably good restaurants that Heather and I frequent for lunch and dinner on a rotating basis. I'm sick of going out to eat all the time, taking cold showers and not running every morning but I'm going to miss the blue sky and hot sun and the wonderful field workers. I will probably be back in March for a few months but we'll see...

Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment