Sunday, September 24, 2006

Notorious

How come there are only three words that rhyme with Pastorius? Two of them are muscles on my cadaver, sartorius and risorius, and the third is my nickname, notorious.

According to Webster's Dictionary "Notorious" was adopted into English in the 16th century from Medieval Latin "notorius," itself from Late Latin's noun "notorium," meaning "information" or "indictment." "Notorium," in turn, derives from the Latin verb "noscere," meaning "to come to know." Although "notorious" can be a synonym of "famous," meaning simply "widely known," it long ago developed the additional implication of someone or something unpleasant or undesirable. I prefer the former definition, widely known, as opposed to the latter. Either way, I routinely earn the nickname no matter whom I meet or what group of friends I hang out with. Even in groups of new friends, someone clever figures out the alliteration and Mr. Garber's nickname, "Notorious B.I.G." nickname at Chippewa Middle School will never leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment